The album topped the classical charts in both the US and UK, and briefly entered the pop charts.
Standing Stone was released in the UK on 29 September 1997. It had originally been scheduled for release on 6 October, but was brought forward to coincide with the US date of 25 September 1997.
The compact disc came with a 48 page booklet, and the standard case was enclosed with a cardboard sleeve. It featured an essay by Andrew Stewart, and reproductions of two paintings by Paul from 1994 named Standing Stone Story and Standing Stone Story II.
The booklet contained further photographs by Linda, Mary McCartney and David Eustace. A deluxe box set containing a two-disc vinyl edition was limited to 2,500 copies, and was released on 1 December.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Olivia Harrison wins Friar Park fence battle
- 2006: UK album release: Ecce Cor Meum by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording: Cold Turkey by Plastic Ono Band
- 1969: Paul and Linda McCartney attend the UK première of Midnight Cowboy
- 1969: Mixing: Live Peace In Toronto 1969 by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Editing, recording, mixing: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
- 1967: Recording, mixing: The Fool On The Hill
- 1967: Editing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: The Beatles’ cartoon series begins in the United States
- 1962: Live: Heswall Jazz Club, Wirral
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.