George Harrison’s widow Olivia has won a legal battle to replace a razor wire security fence around her home, despite objections from neighbours.
The 8ft fence was originally put in place after her husband was attacked and stabbed in 1999 by an intruder. South Oxfordshire District Council has now given approval for a permanent replacement to maintain security at Friar Park, the Harrisons’ mansion in Gravel Hill, Henley-on-Thames.
Some neighbours had opposed the fence, calling it “unnecessary and inappropriate”. One neighbour, the actor Rodney Bewes, claimed the wire had injured his cat and cost thousands in vet fees.
Also on this day...
- 2006: UK album release: Ecce Cor Meum by Paul McCartney
- 1997: US album release: Standing Stone by Paul McCartney
- 1970: UK album release: Beaucoups Of Blues by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Recording: Cold Turkey by Plastic Ono Band
- 1969: Paul and Linda McCartney attend the UK première of Midnight Cowboy
- 1969: Mixing: Live Peace In Toronto 1969 by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Editing, recording, mixing: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
- 1967: Recording, mixing: The Fool On The Hill
- 1967: Editing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: The Beatles’ cartoon series begins in the United States
- 1962: Live: Heswall Jazz Club, Wirral
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.