Released in time for the Christmas 1986 market, Menlove Ave was the second posthumous long player of John Lennon’s unfinished recordings, following Milk And Honey two years earlier. It was released in the United States on 27 October 1986.
Menlove Ave fared poorly. Given little promotion, it failed to chart in the United Kingdom upon its release there on 3 November 1986, and peaked at 127 in the United States. The lack of chart action made it Lennon’s least successful album at the time.
‘Rock And Roll People’ was issued as a promotional single to coincide with the release, but was given little airplay. No commercial singles were released from the album.
Also on this day...
- 2023: Paul McCartney live: Allianz Stadium, Sydney
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Heinz Hall, Pittsburgh
- 1981: US album release: Stop And Smell The Roses by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Night And Day by Ringo Starr
- 1964: Mixing: What You’re Doing, Honey Don’t, Mr Moonlight, Every Little Thing, Eight Days A Week
- 1963: Live: Cirkus, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 1962: Live: Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight
- 1962: The Beatles’ first radio interview
- 1961: Live: Knotty Ash Village Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.