The Beatles performed three shows in Gothenburg on this day, at 3pm, 5pm and 8pm. They took place at the Cirkus venue in the Lorensbergsparken district.
The group made the 500km journey from Stockholm in a single car, with their equipment in another. They checked in to the Park Avenue Hotel in the centre of Gothenburg.
The support acts for the Cirkus shows were Swedish group Trio Me' Bumba, and English group Ken Levy and The Phantoms. The Beatles' likely set for these concerts, and for all the other dates on the Sweden tour, contained nine songs:
- Roll Over Beethoven
- Please Please Me
- I Saw Her Standing There
- From Me To You
- A Taste Of Honey
- She Loves You
- Twist And Shout
- Long Tall Sally
The Cirkus building was demolished in 1969, and a parking lot now stands on the site. Lorensberg Park itself is now a city block.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Heinz Hall, Pittsburgh
- 1986: US album release: Menlove Ave by John Lennon
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Night And Day by Ringo Starr
- 1964: Mixing: What You’re Doing, Honey Don’t, Mr Moonlight, Every Little Thing, Eight Days A Week
- 1962: Live: Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight
- 1962: The Beatles’ first radio interview
- 1961: Live: Knotty Ash Village Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.