Trident Studios, St Anne’s Court, London
Producer: Glyn Johns
Engineer: Barry Sheffield
A master take of I Want You (She’s So Heavy) was assembled during this session, from some of the 35 takes recorded on the previous day.
The first part of the song was taken from take nine; a middle section came from take 20; and the remainder was from take 32. These were all edited into a single master take, which became the basis for further overdubs in the months that followed.
At this stage – indeed, right up until the final day of work on the song – it was known simply as I Want You.
Also on this day...
- 2016: New organisation aims to maximise Beatles tourism in Liverpool
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: A Day In The Life, Lovely Rita
- 1965: The Beatles begin filming Help! in the Bahamas
- 1965: Mixing: Yes It Is, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, If You’ve Got Trouble, Tell Me What You See, I Need You, Another Girl, Ticket To Ride, You Like Me Too Much, The Night Before, You’re Going To Lose That Girl, That Means A Lot
- 1964: Television: Big Night Out
- 1963: Live: Granada Cinema, Mansfield
- 1962: Live: Technical College Hall, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Stuart Sutcliffe is interviewed for a teaching diploma at Liverpool College of Art
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.