The Beatles had toured with Helen Shapiro in the early part of February 1963, but had temporarily dropped out to record the Please Please Me LP and undertake a series of standalone concerts. On this date, however, they rejoined the tour.
As with the first leg of the tour, The Beatles were near the bottom of the bill. Prior to going onstage for the first part of the concert, the group crammed into Helen Shapiro's dressing room, the only one with a television, to watch their performance of Please Please Me on Thank Your Lucky Stars, recorded in Teddington, Middlesex the previous Sunday.
The programme was transmitted between 5.50 and 6.30 on the ABC network. The Beatles were third in the running order, with Adam Faith the star of the show.
Also on this day, the Please Please Me single reached number one on the Disc singles chart.
Also on this day...
- 2016: New organisation aims to maximise Beatles tourism in Liverpool
- 1969: Editing: I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: A Day In The Life, Lovely Rita
- 1965: The Beatles begin filming Help! in the Bahamas
- 1965: Mixing: Yes It Is, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, If You’ve Got Trouble, Tell Me What You See, I Need You, Another Girl, Ticket To Ride, You Like Me Too Much, The Night Before, You’re Going To Lose That Girl, That Means A Lot
- 1964: Television: Big Night Out
- 1962: Live: Technical College Hall, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Stuart Sutcliffe is interviewed for a teaching diploma at Liverpool College of Art
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.