This was The Beatles’ 12th show at the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton, Wallasey.
The Tower Ballroom shows were promoted by Sam Leach, for whom The Beatles played a number of events in the early 1960s. On this occasion they took to the stage twice, at 9pm and 10.45pm; in between they played a 30-minute set at the Technical College in Birkenhead.
Tower Ballroom was on the New Brighton promenade, and was capable of holding up to 5,000 people. The New Brighton Tower opened in 1900, and at 567ft was taller than Blackpool Tower. A 1,000 tonne lattice-steel observation tower overlooking the Wirral Peninsula, it was the tallest building in Britain when it was completed.
It was short-lived, however. Following closure during World War One, its structure began to decay and the tower was dismantled between 1919 and 1921.
The ballroom underneath fared better, however, and was used for nearly 50 years. However, the building was destroyed by fire in 1969. The area was later redeveloped as River View Park.
The Beatles played at the Tower Ballroom on 27 occasions. The other dates were 10 and 24 November; 1, 8, 15 and 26 December 1961; 12, 19 and 26 January; 15 and 16 February; 6 April; 21 and 29 June; 13, 21 and 27 July; 17 August; 14 and 21 September; 12 October; 23 November; 1 and 7 December 1962; and 14 June 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2016: New organisation aims to maximise Beatles tourism in Liverpool
- 1979: UK album release: George Harrison by George Harrison
- 1972: Wings live at Oxford University
- 1969: Editing: I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: A Day In The Life, Lovely Rita
- 1965: The Beatles begin filming Help! in the Bahamas
- 1965: Mixing: Yes It Is, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, If You’ve Got Trouble, Tell Me What You See, I Need You, Another Girl, Ticket To Ride, You Like Me Too Much, The Night Before, You’re Going To Lose That Girl, That Means A Lot
- 1964: Television: Big Night Out
- 1963: Live: Granada Cinema, Mansfield
- 1962: Live: Technical College Hall, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Stuart Sutcliffe is interviewed for a teaching diploma at Liverpool College of Art
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.