This was The Beatles’ 10th show at the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton, Wallasey.
The Tower Ballroom shows were promoted by Sam Leach, for whom The Beatles played a number of events in the early 1960s. This particular event featured The Beatles and Terry Lightfoot and his New Orleans Jazz Band, and was attended by 3,500 people. A ”Panto Ball” took place the following night at the venue, and this event was billed as the “Pre-Panto Ball”.
Tower Ballroom was on the New Brighton promenade, and was capable of holding up to 5,000 people. The New Brighton Tower opened in 1900, and at 567ft was taller than Blackpool Tower. A 1,000 tonne lattice-steel observation tower overlooking the Wirral Peninsula, it was the tallest building in Britain when it was completed.
It was short-lived, however. Following closure during World War One, its structure began to decay and the tower was dismantled between 1919 and 1921.
The ballroom underneath fared better, however, and was used for nearly 50 years. However, the building was destroyed by fire in 1969. The area was later redeveloped as River View Park.
The Beatles played at the Tower Ballroom on 27 occasions. The other dates were 10 and 24 November; 1, 8, 15 and 26 December 1961; 12, 19 and 26 January; 16 and 23 February; 2 March; 6 April; 21 and 29 June; 13, 21 and 27 July; 17 August; 14 and 21 September; 12 October; 23 November; 1 and 7 December 1962; and 14 June 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2016: Paul McCartney announces first live shows of 2016
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, Birmingham, Alabama
- 2015: Paul McCartney performs on Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary special
- 2010: The Beatles’ Revolver tops the Vatican’s best albums list
- 1968: Mixing: Lady Madonna
- 1968: John Lennon and George Harrison fly to India
- 1965: Recording: Ticket To Ride, Another Girl, I Need You
- 1965: John Lennon passes his driving test
- 1965: US single release: Eight Days A Week
- 1964: Rehearsal for The Ed Sullivan Show
- 1963: Live: Ritz Ballroom, Birmingham
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.