Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: Chris Thomas
Engineer: Ken Scott
The session took place from 7pm-3am. The Beatles recorded 45 takes of the song, which had the working title Happiness Is A Warm Gun In Your Hand. John Lennon played electric guitar and sang a guide vocal, George Harrison was on another electric guitar, Paul McCartney played bass, and Ringo Starr was on drums.
The song’s various changes in tempo and time signature resulting in a number of breakdowns. The following evening they taped another 25 attempts, which eventually resulted in a usable backing track.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at El Capitan Outdoor Stage, Los Angeles (Jimmy Kimmel Live)
- 1974: US single release: Whatever Gets You Thru The Night by John Lennon
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.