Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: Chris Thomas
Engineer: Ken Scott
The mono mix for Helter Skelter followed its recording on 9 and 10 September 1968. This truncated most of the final minute, including Ringo Starr's famous cry "I've got blisters on my fingers!" – unlike the stereo mix, which was made on 12 October 1968.
It is likely that Paul McCartney was the only Beatle in the studio on this evening. He added harmony vocals, another acoustic guitar track, maracas, and a vocal bass line onto I Will.
Before the session ended at 5am, the four-track tape of Cry Baby Cry, which had last been added to on 18 July, was copied to eight-track tape for further overdubs. However, nothing else was added to the recording prior to its release on the White Album.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Paul McCartney live at Madison Square Garden, New York City
- 2010: Gibson to issue three John Lennon acoustic guitars
- 1964: Live: Municipal Stadium, Kansas City
- 1962: Live: Queen’s Hall, Widnes
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.