Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: Chris Thomas
Engineer: Ken Scott
It took 67 attempts before a satisfactory take was completed. McCartney also led the others through various improvisations, including take 19, better known as Can You Take Me Back?, a snippet from which appeared on the White Album in between Cry Baby Cry and Revolution 9.
Also during the session, the trio recorded Step Inside Love, a song written by McCartney for Cilla Black. Their rendition segued into an improvised song, Los Paranoias. These were included on 1996’s Anthology 3, along with take one of I Will.
Take 65 was chosen of the best take of I Will. The Beatles had been recording the session on four-track tape, and to enable further overdubs the performance was dubbed onto eight-track tape.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney to reissue Band On The Run
- 1969: Maclen (Music) Limited begins legal proceedings against Northern Songs
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Your Mother Should Know, Blue Jay Way
- 1966: John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Brian Epstein meet in Paris
- 1964: Live: City Park Stadium, New Orleans
- 1963: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr holiday in Greece
- 1963: John and Cynthia Lennon holiday in Paris
- 1963: George Harrison holidays with his sister Louise in Benton, IL, USA
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.