Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: Chris Thomas
Engineer: Ken Scott
It took 67 attempts before a satisfactory take was completed. McCartney also led the others through various improvisations, including take 19, better known as Can You Take Me Back?, which appeared on the White Album in between Cry Baby Cry and Revolution 9.
Also during the session, the trio recorded Step Inside Love, a song written by McCartney for Cilla Black. Their rendition segued into an improvised song, Los Paranoias. These were included on 1996's Anthology 3, along with take one of I Will.
Take 65 was chosen of the best take of I Will. The Beatles had been recording the session on four-track tape, and to enable further overdubs the performance was dubbed onto eight-track tape.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney to reissue Band On The Run
- 1969: Maclen (Music) Limited begins legal proceedings against Northern Songs
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Your Mother Should Know, Blue Jay Way
- 1966: John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Brian Epstein meet in Paris
- 1964: Live: City Park Stadium, New Orleans
- 1963: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr holiday in Greece
- 1963: John and Cynthia Lennon holiday in Paris
- 1963: George Harrison holidays with his sister Louise in Benton, IL, USA
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.