This session began at 8pm and finished at 3.15am the following morning. Seven takes of ‘Ob-La-Di’ were recorded, with Paul McCartney on acoustic guitar and guide vocals, and Ringo Starr playing drums. Take seven was then given a proper lead vocal and more acoustic guitar.
McCartney then decided that take four was superior, and so he overdubbed more acoustic guitar onto that. The guitar was slightly distorted to make it sound like an electric instrument.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Horseshoe Casino, Tunica, Mississippi
- 1969: Recording, editing: Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight
- 1967: Lennon, McCartney and Harrison attend a party in London
- 1966: The Beatles arrive in Manila, Philippines
- 1965: Live: Plaza de Toros Monumental, Barcelona, Spain
- 1963: Radio: The Beat Show
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.