This was The Beatles' only appearance on the BBC radio show The Beat Show, which was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme service on 1pm the following day.
The session took place at Manchester's Playhouse Theatre. The Beatles rehearsed from 4pm, and the show was recorded in front of a studio audience from 8-9pm. They performed three songs: From Me To You, A Taste Of Honey and Twist And Shout.
The host was Gay Byrne, and other music was provided by the BBC Northern Dance Orchestra directed by Bernard Herrmann, and the Trad Lads.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Horseshoe Casino, Tunica, Mississippi
- 1969: Recording, editing: Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight
- 1968: Recording: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- 1967: Lennon, McCartney and Harrison attend a party in London
- 1966: The Beatles arrive in Manila, Philippines
- 1965: Live: Plaza de Toros Monumental, Barcelona, Spain
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.