Paul McCartney began by adding lead vocals onto take four. A reduction mix was then made to create more space for further overdubs, which was labelled take five.
This version of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da remained unused, as the song was given two remakes before it was judged suitable for release.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Roskilde Festival, Denmark
- 2009: The Beatles’ former manager Allen Klein dies at 77
- 2009: McCartney publishes extended tribute to Michael Jackson
- 1969: Recording: Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight
- 1969: UK single release: Give Peace A Chance by Plastic Ono Band
- 1967: George Harrison visits his parents
- 1966: Live: Rizal Memorial Football Stadium, Manila, Philippines
- 1965: Travel: Barcelona to London
- 1963: Editing, mixing: She Loves You, I’ll Get You
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.