Room 13, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Engineer: Malcolm Davies
During this five-hour session, engineer Malcolm Davies made tape copies of a number of Beatles songs, most of which were for the Yellow Submarine soundtrack.
The songs in question were ‘Yellow Submarine’, ‘All You Need Is Love’, ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘A Day In The Life’, ‘With A Little Help From My Friends’, ‘Yesterday’, ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’, ‘All Together Now’, ‘Michelle’, ‘When I’m Sixty-Four’, ‘Nowhere Man’, ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’, ‘It’s All Too Much’, ‘You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)’, ‘Help!’ and ‘Love You To’.
Not all of these were used in the Yellow Submarine animation, and the purpose of the other copies is unclear. Possibly they were made in case the producers wished to use them, although one song – You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) – was still incomplete.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Estádio Mané Garrincha, Brasília, Brazil
- 1973: UK album release: Ringo by Ringo Starr
- 1965: Filming: promos for We Can Work It Out, Day Tripper, Help!, Ticket To Ride, I Feel Fine
- 1964: Television: Ready, Steady, Go!
- 1964: US album release: The Beatles’ Story
- 1964: US single release: I Feel Fine
- 1963: Live: City Hall, Newcastle
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Television audition: St James’s Church Hall, London
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1957: Live: New Clubmoor Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.