The single sold more than a million copies in its first week of release. It entered the top 40 on 5 December at number 22, and by 26 December it was number one. It stayed there for three weeks, and remained in the top 40 for 11 weeks.
The US single was remixed by Dave Dexter Jr of Capitol Records, who added a layer of reverb throughout both I Feel Fine and She’s A Woman. The mixes were also released on the Capitol album Beatles ’65.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Estádio Mané Garrincha, Brasília, Brazil
- 1973: UK album release: Ringo by Ringo Starr
- 1967: Tape copying: Yellow Submarine soundtrack songs
- 1965: Filming: promos for We Can Work It Out, Day Tripper, Help!, Ticket To Ride, I Feel Fine
- 1964: Television: Ready, Steady, Go!
- 1964: US album release: The Beatles’ Story
- 1963: Live: City Hall, Newcastle
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Television audition: St James’s Church Hall, London
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1957: Live: New Clubmoor Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.