McCartney played a Steinway grand piano and Ringo Starr was on drums. Each part was recorded onto a separate track, but there was some sound leakage between the two. From take nine the piano was given some reverb, added from the studio control room.
Onto the 10th take, the final one, McCartney overdubbed a clavichord, which was hired for the occasion from George Martin’s company AIR, at a cost of five guineas. Starr also added maracas, hi-hat and tambourine.
Also on this day...
- 2020: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr pay tribute to Little Richard
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Estádio Governador Plácido Castelo, Fortaleza, Brazil
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Monumental, Lima, Peru
- 1969: Paul McCartney performs on Steve Miller’s My Dark Hour
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back album inserts
- 1969: UK album release: Unfinished Music No.2: Life With The Lions by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1969: UK album release: Electronic Sound by George Harrison
- 1967: Recording: Untitled
- 1965: The Beatles watch Bob Dylan perform in London
- 1965: Filming: Help! – various scenes around London
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.