The Beatles’ first US tour had ended the night before, with a concert in New York City. On this day the group and their entourage flew back to London Airport (now Heathrow), arriving at 9.35pm.
Their flight number was BC 510, and they flew in a Boeing 707. By the time of their arrival thousands of fans were gathered on the roof of the Queen’s Building, hoping to catch a glimpse of their heroes.
— George Harrison (@GeorgeHarrison) September 21, 2017
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: iHeartRadio Music Festival, Las Vegas
- 2009: The Beatles: officially bigger than Jesus, according to Google
- 1998: UK album release: Rushes by The Fireman (Paul McCartney and Youth)
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.