Ringo Starr appeared on a judging panel for the final of the National Beat Group Competition on this day at the Prince of Wales Theatre in London.
Also on the panel were Brian Epstein, Cilla Black, Alan Freeman, The Fourmost’s Billy Hatton, Fabulous magazine’s Betty Hale, and Linda Lewis. The chairman was David Jacobs, and the event was sponsored by the charity Oxfam.
The acts taking part, winners of previous regional heats, were The Southerns, The Connoisseurs, The Starfires, The Apaches, Formula Five, The Down-Beats, The Vibros, The Countdowns, Roy Stuart and the Cyclones, Danny Clarke and the Jaguars, and The Crusades. None achieved notability beyond this night.
The second half of the show, from 9.45-10.35pm, was broadcast live on television by BBC Two under the title It’s Beat Time.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Apple to reissue The Beatles’ UK albums on vinyl
- 2009: McCartney school essay discovered 50 years on
- 1967: Recording, mixing: I Am The Walrus
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.