This was The Beatles’ 42nd of 48 consecutive nights performing at the Indra Club in Hamburg, Germany.
They were contracted to perform for four and a half hours each weekday night, from 8-9.30pm, 10-11pm, 11.30pm-12.30am and 1-2am.
They also had to play for six hours on Saturdays, from 7-8.30pm, 9-10pm, 10.30-11.30pm, 12-1am, and 1.30-3am. Sunday hours were 5-6pm, 6.30-7.30pm, 8-9pm, 9.30-10.30pm, 11-12 midnight and 12.30-1.30am.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Apple to reissue The Beatles’ UK albums on vinyl
- 2009: McCartney school essay discovered 50 years on
- 1976: US album release: Ringo’s Rotogravure by Ringo Starr
- 1967: Recording, mixing: I Am The Walrus
- 1964: Ringo Starr judges the National Beat Group Competition
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.