This was the eighth date on which The Beatles performed both lunchtime and evening shows at Liverpool’s Cavern Club.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 41st lunchtime show, and their 57th appearance overall at the underground venue on Mathew Street.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Apple to reissue The Beatles’ UK albums on vinyl
- 2009: McCartney school essay discovered 50 years on
- 1967: Recording, mixing: I Am The Walrus
- 1964: Ringo Starr judges the National Beat Group Competition
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.