Ringo Starr gained his first lead vocal on a Beatles single, with the US release of their version of Carl Perkins’ Matchbox.
The single, released as Capitol 5255, reached number 17 on the Billboard singles chart. Its b-side was Slow Down, originally a 1958 hit for Larry Williams.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney’s ballet score Ocean’s Kingdom to be released
- 1968: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono on Frost On Saturday
- 1967: The Beatles meet Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
- 1966: Day off in Los Angeles
- 1965: The Beatles take LSD in Los Angeles with The Byrds and Peter Fonda
- 1964: Day off in Bel Air, Los Angeles
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.