24 August 1963 was the last of The Beatles’ six consecutive dates in the English seaside town of Bournemouth.
They played two houses on each night. Also on the bill were Tommy Quickly and Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas.
The Beatles stayed at the Palace Court hotel on each night of the residency.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney’s ballet score Ocean’s Kingdom to be released
- 1968: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono on Frost On Saturday
- 1967: The Beatles meet Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
- 1966: Day off in Los Angeles
- 1965: The Beatles take LSD in Los Angeles with The Byrds and Peter Fonda
- 1964: Day off in Bel Air, Los Angeles
- 1964: US single release: Matchbox
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.