The Beatles gave their 127th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 220th known performance overall at the soon-to-be-famous cellar venue on Mathew Street in Liverpool’s city centre, including evening appearances.
The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Last updated: 25 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney’s ballet score Ocean’s Kingdom to be released
- 1968: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono on Frost On Saturday
- 1967: The Beatles meet Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
- 1966: Day off in Los Angeles
- 1965: The Beatles take LSD in Los Angeles with The Byrds and Peter Fonda
- 1964: Day off in Bel Air, Los Angeles
- 1964: US single release: Matchbox
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I wonder what this show was like? Routine?
I wonder how late John stayed out last night. Lol.
After a near tussle with The Remo Four last night, it is so obvious John just wanted to play, play, play!!
I too understand this after playing Beatles Rock Band 🙂
Some songs I would bet they played today:
Some Other Guy
Love Me Do
Kansas City (Hey Hey Hey Hey)