The Beatles were taken by Rolls-Royce to Brisbane Airport early in the morning. From there they caught a Qantas 707 flight to Sydney, the first leg of their long journey back to England.
The Beatles arrived at London Airport – which was later renamed Heathrow – at 11.10am on 2 July 1964.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Palacio Euskalduna, Bilbao, Spain
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Toledo Zoo Amphitheatre, Toledo, Ohio
- 2010: Paul McCartney performs at Old Vic theatre fundraiser
- 1969: Recording: You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1969: John Lennon crashes his car in Scotland
- 1968: Recording: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono launch art exhibition You Are Here
- 1966: Live: Nippon Budokan Hall, Tokyo
- 1965: Travel: Nice to Madrid
- 1963: Recording: She Loves You, I’ll Get You
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.