It was a great pleasure to come and rock out for the old vicars! Such a great event for a good cause. I particularly like the outreach programmes they have for the youth around the area that encourage young kids. When Kevin strong armed me into doing it, as he does, we were only too pleased to show up and step up to the plate. We had a great evening, we rocked out and the crowd did too. We couldn’t have asked for more.
Tickets for the event, dubbed the Old Vic 192, started at £500 and went up to £10,000 for a premium table and VIP reception. It took place at the Boiler House (Battersea Power Station) in London, and was hosted by artistic director Kevin Spacey and chief executive Sally Greene.
Money raised at the event will go to the theatre trust and to support Meat Free Monday. McCartney performed 10 songs plus an encore, nine of which were originally recorded by The Beatles.
- ‘Got To Get You Into My Life’
- ‘All My Loving’
- ‘Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five’
- ‘The Long And Winding Road’
- ‘And I Love Her’
- ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’
- ‘Back In The USSR’
- ‘Let It Be’
- ‘Hey Jude’
- ‘Get Back’
McCartney dedicated ‘Hey Jude’ to Dame Judi Dench, who was in the audience. He performed the song with the Old Vic’s artistic director Kevin Spacey. Other members of the audience included Stephen Fry, Bryan Adams and Sir Peter Blake.
A report from the event can be seen on paulmccartney.com.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Palacio Euskalduna, Bilbao, Spain
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Toledo Zoo Amphitheatre, Toledo, Ohio
- 1969: Recording: You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1969: John Lennon crashes his car in Scotland
- 1968: Recording: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono launch art exhibition You Are Here
- 1966: Live: Nippon Budokan Hall, Tokyo
- 1965: Travel: Nice to Madrid
- 1964: Travel: Australia to England
- 1963: Recording: She Loves You, I’ll Get You
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.