On this day The Beatles' 74th evening show at the Cavern Club took place. It was billed as a Blue Genes Guest Night, and also featured The Merseybeats.
I always thought McCartney was a born leader. Lennon stood there leaning on the piano, looking arrogant, and we would be waiting with great anticipation for him singing Please Mister Postman with bent knees and looking down his nose as he sang. Lennon didn't have much time for people and he totally ignored me most of the time. Paul was very much in your face. I remember Mike Millward bringing a cake down for Paul's birthday [which was the day before] one lunchtime and he was so pleased. He was jumping about because he had been given this cake.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Overall this was The Beatles' 180th appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their lunchtime shows. It was also the 30th occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows at the venue.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney announces new single I Don’t Know/Come On To Me
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Firefly Music Festival, Dover, Delaware
- 2012: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr pay tribute to Victor Spinetti
- 2009: Beatles’ first management contract up for grabs
- 1967: Paul McCartney admits taking LSD
- 1967: Recording: All You Need Is Love
- 1964: Live: Sydney Stadium, Sydney
- 1964: UK EP release: Long Tall Sally
- 1963: Radio: Easy Beat
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1945: John Lennon’s half-sister Victoria is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.