The Beatles’ second appearance on the BBC radio show Easy Beat necessitated a rush back to London following Paul McCartney’s 21st birthday celebrations.
The show was recorded on 19 June 1963 in front of an audience of screaming fans at London’s Playhouse Theatre between 8.45 and 9.45pm. It was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme from 10.30am on Sunday 23 June.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney announces new single I Don’t Know/Come On To Me
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Firefly Music Festival, Dover, Delaware
- 2012: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr pay tribute to Victor Spinetti
- 2009: Beatles’ first management contract up for grabs
- 1967: Paul McCartney admits taking LSD
- 1967: Recording: All You Need Is Love
- 1964: Live: Sydney Stadium, Sydney
- 1964: UK EP release: Long Tall Sally
- 1963: Derek Taylor interviews Brian Epstein
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1945: John Lennon’s half-sister Victoria is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.