This was The Beatles' 35th performance at the Casbah Coffee Club in Liverpool's Hayman Green. The venue was owned by drummer Pete Best's mother Mona.
This show took place without George Harrison, who was unwell. As The Beatles were due to travel to Germany for their third Hamburg residency in a few days, manager Brian Epstein decided to prevent him from performing in this and the Cavern Club show later this evening, and the Casbah engagement the following day, to ensure he was healthy enough for the seven-week stint at the Star-Club.
The Beatles played at the Casbah Coffee Club a total of 37 times between 1960 and 1962. The other dates were: 17 and 31 December 1960; 15 and 29 January; 12, 19 and 26 February; 5, 12, 19 and 26 March; 6, 13 and 27 August; 10 and 24 September; 22 October; 19 and 24 November; 3 and 17 December 1961; 7, 14, 21 and 28 January; 4, 11, 18 and 25 February; 4, 11, 18 and 25 March; 1 and 8 April; and 24 June 1962.
Also on this day...
- 2009: The Beatles’ remastered CDs to be released on 09/09/09
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back, Don’t Let Me Down
- 1967: Mixing: Sgt Pepper crossfades, With A Little Help From My Friends, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!, Fixing A Hole, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- 1967: Paul McCartney films Jane Asher in Denver, and has the idea for Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Recording: Tomorrow Never Knows, Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Savoy Ballroom, Southsea, Portsmouth
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.