On this day, at Twickenham Film Studios, The Beatles filmed the scenes for A Hard Day’s Night inside the police station. The exterior shots of the station were filmed in London’s Notting Hill Gate on 16 April.
This was one of two sequences soundtracked by ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’ in the film.
The shoot took place not at a genuine police station, but at Twickenham Film Studios in south east England.
Also on this day...
- 2009: The Beatles’ remastered CDs to be released on 09/09/09
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back, Don’t Let Me Down
- 1967: Mixing: Sgt Pepper crossfades, With A Little Help From My Friends, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!, Fixing A Hole, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- 1967: Paul McCartney films Jane Asher in Denver, and has the idea for Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Recording: Tomorrow Never Knows, Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1963: Live: Savoy Ballroom, Southsea, Portsmouth
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.