Stereo mixes of four Sgt Pepper songs were created during this session, which lasted from 7pm until 1am.
The first task was to create crossfades from the album’s title track and With A Little Help From My Friends, and from Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) into A Day In The Life. The same had been done for mono mixes on the previous day.
The stereo mixes were done relatively swiftly compared with the mono ones. Three stereo mixes were made of With A Little Help From My Friends, eight of Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!, one of Fixing A Hole, and five of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.
Also on this day...
- 2009: The Beatles’ remastered CDs to be released on 09/09/09
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back, Don’t Let Me Down
- 1967: Paul McCartney films Jane Asher in Denver, and has the idea for Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Recording: Tomorrow Never Knows, Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Savoy Ballroom, Southsea, Portsmouth
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.