The Beatles' 40th evening show at the Cavern Club took place on this date. Also on the bill were jazz group Pete Haslam's Collegians.
There was a short period at the Cavern where beat groups would be billed alongside jazz bands. It was a strange combination and it wasn't clear for whom Ray McFall was catering. Ray would book the jazz bands, who would say it's no use to be on such a bill. The jazz element became disenchanted with the Cavern and so the club turned completely to rock.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Overall this was The Beatles' 110th appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their more common lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day three
- 1967: Recording: Penny Lane
- 1967: UK album release: The Family Way
- 1965: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1964: Live: The Beatles’ Christmas Show
- 1963: Live: Beach Ballroom, Aberdeen, Scotland
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Bootle
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.