This was The Beatles’ 19th evening show at the Cavern Club in Liverpool’s Mathew Street.
It was an all-night show at the Cavern, and The Beatles performed two sets before and after midnight. Also on the bill were Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Remo Four, and three jazz bands: Yorkshire, Panama and Pete Haslam’s Collegians.
I thought The Beatles were amazing and I thought their stamina was amazing. It reminded me of when I went to a night club in Zurich and I played jazz for five or six hours every night and I realised where The Beatles had got their stamina from as they had the same experience in Hamburg. I knew that when I went home every gig that I did was going to seem so easy and short, and it did for a while. That’s how they felt too, they were flying through the gigs in England as they were almost over before they started.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Although the precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963. Overall this was their 64th appearance at the club, including their lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Théâtre St-Denis, Montreal, Canada
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- 2011: Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell hold wedding party in New York
- 2011: Julian Lennon hits out at Beatles ‘snubs’
- 2008: Beatles iPod goes on sale at Bloomingdale’s
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1965: Recording: Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), Nowhere Man
- 1964: Live: Odeon Cinema, Glasgow
- 1964: Mixing: I Feel Fine, I’ll Follow The Sun, She’s A Woman, Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby
- 1963: Mixing: I Want To Hold Your Hand, This Boy
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.