Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
500 Greatest Albums of All Time
4 December 2015
5.45am
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

@Necko said

Hey Mr. Kite, 

Are you planning on only reviewing albums you’ve never heard before, or are you reviewing everything? 

I’m doing everything, straight through, in backwards order! I’ll be hitting some I know soon.

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

4 December 2015
11.15am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Are there any on the list you are really dreading or is it a fresh blank clean slate for all?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 December 2015
2.02pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

meanmistermustard said

Are there any on the list you are really dreading or is it a fresh blank clean slate for all?

The only specific example I can think of would be Kanye West. On one hand I’m apprehensive because I don’t like him as a person, but I think I might be afraid it’ll be good.

The whole goal is to give it all a fair chance though, so when I get there I’ll try to have removed any bias. Positive biases to certain artists may influence some ratings, however… ahdn_george_06

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

8 December 2015
10.41am
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

What a great idea! I’ll enjoy reading this.

The following people thank Linde for this post:

Mr. Kite
11 December 2015
9.41am
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

So… ahdn_george_06

This came to a halt for a minute as I started listening to the album, stopped somewhere along the way, and am dreading returning to it. Especially since I want to listen to each all the way through. I’ll have to start over! paul-mccartney

I’m definitely gonna finish this review today so I can move along!

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
8.21am
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

It’s been two months?!

Preface: This album is what halted my reviews. Thinking about starting it over, as I had given up halfway through, kept me from continuing. Now, that sounds really negative, and I thought I’d come back and tell you all how much I hated it, but after time coming back to it I don’t know what the problem was. I must not have been in the mood the first time, but I’m glad I’m continuing on.

Within the hour…

Bonnie Raitt – Give It Up

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Beatlebug, Starr Shine?, georgiewood

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
8.27am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

YOU’RE BAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!! beatlemaniacs_02_gif 

See, @georgiewood? I told ye he was round. 

I’ll be round, I’ll be round… 

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Mr. Kite, georgiewood

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

1 February 2016
8.48am
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

495. Give It Up

BonnieRaitt/GiveItUpImage Enlarger

Artist: Bonnie Raitt
Released: 1972
Genre: Folk Rock

Review: For what it is, bluesy country folk ‘rock,’ this album provides what you’d expect. It may be a bit on the country side for my liking, but Bonnie is a great guitar player and her singing fits the music perfectly. Opening with an uptempo, slide-heavy track the album didn’t really impress me as it progressed. The music is lacking something for my taste, although I can identify the better songs. Nothing Seems To Matter is a slower song that has some great upright bass, fingerpicking, and emotional vocals. A high point of the album. There’s a nice little blues guitar solo ending Too Long At The Fair; that kind of thing may have improved my view of the album if it was present elsewhere. The other two standout songs on the album, in my eyes, were Under The Falling Sky and Love Has No Pride. Under The Falling Sky had a bit of a Stones vibe to it and Love Has No Pride is a mellow, acoustic closer that ends the album well.

Favorite: Nothing Seems To Matter

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01

I didn’t dislike it as I was expecting, but I probably won’t listen again.

Next Up: MGMT – Oracular Spectacular

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Starr Shine?

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
10.24am
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

494. Oracular Spectacular

MGMT/OracularSpectacularImage Enlarger

Artist: MGMT
Released: 2007
Genre: Electronic Rock

Review: I know I put a genre up there, but I have no idea what MGMT is. Very synth heavy, electronic, psychedelic music that I guess has a rock base and pop feel. The instrumentation is all over the place, but every song sounds like a coherent piece of the album. The album opens with some really strange sounds and a piercing synth on Time to Pretend. I really enjoyed Electric Feel, it has a cool riff (bass or synth) and vocals that I like for some reason I can’t pinpoint. Kids would sound the most popish on the album if it weren’t for the strange samples. Of Moons, Birds & Monsters sounds particularly poppy when it starts and evolves to include some strange vocal effects and interesting guitar work. There doesn’t seem to be any conventional structure to any of the songs, they change shape as they go along and I don’t think too many of the songs even had identifiable choruses. A little into The Handshake the guitar and vocals move into the left channel and sound like piece of a demo tape shoved into this otherwise possibly overproduced song, it has an interesting effect. The closer, Future Reflections, is a strange story song that cuts off into silence leaving you to wonder what you just listened to for the last forty minutes. Overall… It’s weird music.

Favorite: Electric Feel

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01

I didn’t think I’d like this one, and while it’s another I doubt I’ll hear again, it was an interesting listen.

Next Up: Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
11.06am
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 119

I think the hate on Kanye West is a bit overstated.  I would say he’s one of the greatest modern artists.  His fame and sales are very much justified, and I think, like Muhammad Ali, he has earned the right to hype himself.  He has a massive ego ego, but so did Axel Rose and so many other rockstars.  I think Kanye’s output is incredible.

He incorporated R&B, Soul, Jazz, Electronic/EDM, Rock, Industrial and so many other genres into his music.  A number of the albums he has put out have been highly innovative and ground-breaking.  His first two albums brought socially conscious raps into the forefront again with songs like “Jesus Walks” and “Crack Music”.  His third album Graduation introduced a colorful Electronic Sound , increasing the palette of pop music substantially, shifting rap away from gangster themes to much more.  His cold robotic fourth album 808 and Heartbreaks started the unprecedented trend of male artists to write songs about heartbreak, vulnerability, suffering and love.  His fifth album, Dark Twisted Fantasy, incorporated an edgy hard rock which was basically a sludgy anthem showing the dark side to all the things Americans admire: celebrities, wealth, power, sex.  This album came out at the same time as the Tea Party, Occupy Wall Street and so on, and it hit the right nerve.  His 6th album Yeezus has a dark gritty industrial sound that’s unlike anything I’ve heard from a mainstream record.  New Slaves and Black Skinheads were pure genius.  And just last year, he released a track called Wolves which is just simply beautiful and very unique.

Kanye’s sheer innovation, punchiness and willingness to take risks reminds me a lot of John Lennon .  Paul himself said Kanye reminded him of Lennon.  There’s a reason why Paul has been working with Kanye so much.  Paul recognizes talent.

1 February 2016
11.36am
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I don’t think Kanye isn’t talented, I just don’t like him as a person, at least the way I’ve seen him portrayed. And I haven’t listened to enough of his music to fairly asses him as an artist, but I know I’ll get there eventually.

I’m looking forward to it so that I can actually have a valid opinion.

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
11.40am
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

493. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Wilco/YankeeHotelFoxtrotImage Enlarger

Artist: Wilco
Released: 2002
Genre: Indie Rock

Review: This album started off with some weird noises, which after the last album didn’t seem too strange. This album was full of generally solid acoustic rock songs that were separated by strange audio clips and high pitched noises. The second track Kamera, is the closest to a conventional rock song and it isn’t bookended by non-musical sounds. The middle pieces didn’t stand out too much until Heavy metal drummer which was a little upbeat song leading to the albums ‘rocker’ which is another acoustic song that starts with a little fuzzy guitar: I’m the man who loves you. The song that stood out to me on the album was Pot kettle black which was melodically on point and sung in a laid back, double-tracked vocal that sat perfectly in the music. Lyrically there was an interesting juxtaposition of obvious and oblivious that I liked. Another thing I liked is that it faded out instead of ending with strange noises! They did, however, realize their mistake and the next song Poor places ends with a minute-long swell of weird noises, including a sample that repeats the album title. The album ends with a seven minute piece that pretends to end halfway through and comes back… With weird noises.

Favorite: Pot kettle black

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01

I liked it, I did… But not four apples worth.

So many three star records. I want to be impressed soon!

Next Up: Eurythmics – Touch

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
11.45am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

These are the lowest of the greatest so it might now have that extreme wow factor yet.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

1 February 2016
11.47am
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Annadog40 said

These are the lowest of the greatest so it might now have that extreme wow factor yet.

That’s what I was thinking. It’s still been interesting so far.

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
11.53am
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members

I would venture to say that listening to the bottom 250 might even be more interesting than listening to the top 250.

You already know what to expect from the top: Pet Sounds, Sgt Pepper , etc.  But I’m sure the bottom is filled with more surprise picks and underrated gems.

1 February 2016
12.01pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Derek_Francis said

I would venture to say that listening to the bottom 250 might even be more interesting than listening to the top 250.

You already know what to expect from the top: Pet Sounds, Sgt Pepper , etc.  But I’m sure the bottom is filled with more surprise picks and underrated gems.

So far I can agree. Looking at those higher up, even though there are many albums I haven’t heard, I have a general idea of what to expect front the artists. But I think there will be a lot of interesting music higher up.

At this point the list is probably more interesting than the music, higher up the music will improve even if I know what I’m in for.

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
12.08pm
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members

I’m sorting through this massive list right now.  I’m going to rate the ones I’ve heard and make a list of albums I need to catch up on.

1 February 2016
12.15pm
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members

Here’s a condensed version of the list by the way

http://www.listology.com/jimmy…..ones-i-own

1 February 2016
12.21pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842

Mr. Kite said

meanmistermustard said

The only specific example I can think of would be Kanye West. On one hand I’m apprehensive because I don’t like him as a person, but I think I might be afraid it’ll be good.

The whole goal is to give it all a fair chance though, so when I get there I’ll try to have removed any bias. Positive biases to certain artists may influence some ratings, however… ahdn_george_06

It’s so good 

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

1 February 2016
12.37pm
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members

Here’s the list.  I’m bolding the ones I’ve already heard in full (and giving a personal rating from 1 to 10).  I’m only 24.  I’m a young buck, so I’ve got a lot of listening to do.  Lol.  Ratings are relative to their genre, and there’s no album I’ve heard on this list which I thought was bad.

My favorite on this list so far.  A tossup between Led Zeppelin IV and In Utero.

• 1?The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band — 8/10
    • 3?The Beatles – Revolver — 9/10
    • 5?The Beatles – Rubber Soul — 9/10
    • 10?The Beatles – The Beatles — 10/10
    • 14?The Beatles – Abbey Road — 9/10
    • 17?Nirvana – Nevermind — 9/10
    • 20?Michael Jackson – Thriller — 10/10
    • 29?Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin — 9/10
    • 35?David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust — 9/10
    • 42?The Doors – The Doors — 10/10
    • 43?Pink Floyd – The Dark Side of the Moon — 9/10
    • 46?Bob Marley & The Wailers – Legend — 10/10
    • 48?Public Enemy – It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back — 9/10
    • 52?Al Green – Greatest Hits — 9/10
    • 67?Radiohead – Kid A — 10/10
    • 68?Michael Jackson – Off The Wall — 9/10
    • 69?Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin IV — 10/10
    • 73?Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffiti — 10/10
    • 79?Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin II — 8/10
    • 87?Pink Floyd – The Wall — 10/10
    • 117?Derek and The Dominos – Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs — 9/10
    • 118?Kanye West – Late Registration — 8/10
    • 134?The Notorious B.I.G. – Ready to Die — 9/10
    • 136?Elton John – Greatest Hits — 9/10
    • 138?Dr. Dre – The Chronic — 7/10
    • 144?N.W.A – Straight Outta Compton — 9/10
    • 148?Led Zeppelin – Houses Of The Holy — 9/10
    • 153?A Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Theory — 8/10
    • 156?Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique — 8/10
    • 167?Metallica – Master of Puppets — 8/10
    • 193?Green Day – Dookie — 10/10
    • 219?Beastie Boys – Licensed to Ill — 8/10
    • 225?Green Day – American Idiot — 9/10
    • 227?Pixies – Doolittle — 8/10
    • 228?Eric B. & Rakim – Paid In Full — 8/10
    • 244?Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP — 9/10
    • 250?Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt — 10/10
    • 252?Jay-Z – The Blueprint — 8/10
    • 275?Eminem – The Slim Shady LP — 9/10
    • 298?Kanye West – The College Dropout — 9/10
    • 313?Nirvana – MTV Unplugged in New York — 9/10
    • 314?Lauryn Hill – The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill — 9/10
    • 317?Pixies – Surfer Rosa — 8/10
    • 331?The Beatles – Help ! — 9/10
    • 349?Jay-Z – The Black Album — 9/10
    • 353?Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy — 8/10
    • 361?Outkast – Stankonia — 8/10
    • 364?The Doors – L.A. Woman — 9/10
    • 379?TLC – Crazysexycool — 9/10
    • 387?Wu-Tang Clan – Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) — 10/10
    • 390?The White Stripes – Elephant — 9/10
    • 392?The Beatles – Let It Be — 9/10
    • 402?Nas – Illmatic — 10/10
    • 409?The Doors – Strange Days — 9/10
    • 419?Portishead – Dummy — 9/10
    • 435?Nirvana – In Utero — 10/10
    • 437?Lil’ Wayne – Tha Carter III — 8/10
    • 460?Hole – Live Through This — 8/10
    • 469?Fugees – The Score — 9/10
    • 476?The Notorious B.I.G. – Life After Death — 8/10
    • 480?Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… — 10/10
    • 494?MGMT – Oracular Spectacular — 9/10
    • 497?The White Stripes – White Blood Cells — 8/10
    • 500?OutKast – Aquemini — 8/10

The following people thank Derek_Francis for this post:

Mr. Kite
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2860
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
9intheafternoon, NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694