Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
500 Greatest Albums of All Time
1 February 2016
12.52pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I don’t want to discourage anyone from rating the music, but would you mind putting the list in a spoiler, because it’s very long to scroll past.

Edit: And Hi Faceo!

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Starr Shine?

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
12.54pm
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 119

I reduced the list to just the 50-100 ones I’ve listened to just as you were writing your post.

1 February 2016
12.57pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

492. Touch

Eurythmics/TouchImage Enlarger

Artist: Eurythmics
Released: 1983
Genre: New Wave

Review: Just like anyone who has turned a radio on any time since its release, I’ve heard the opening track of this album, Here Comes The Rain Again, before. Easily the best song on the album. The second song, Regrets, sounds like Grace Jones singing over a bike horn. Don’t know if she was going for a Jones vibe, but I think they may have actually sampled a bike horn. Right By Your Side had some out of place programmed steel drums. Cool Blue has a cool little ascending vocal part, which is not the part in the middle where the pitch is artificially, increasingly raised; that just seemed unnecessary. Who’s That Girl had the most fake snare sounds on the album, and that’s saying something. There are some nice harmonies on that song, however. The First Cut is an upbeat song out of nowhere that takes a little too long to get to the lyrics, but isn’t bad. No Fear, No Hate, No Pain kinda irritated me and went on for too long. While the lyrics of Paint A Rumour were interesting to a point (about 30 seconds), the music began to physically agitate me. After seven minutes of that, it was the end.

Favorite: Here Comes The Rain Again

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01

This had too much of what people make fun of the 80’s for. Just not really my taste. During that last song I was thinking about one apple, so this score is a compliment.

Next Up: Albert King – Born Under A Bad Sign

Derek_Francis, Beatlebug

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

1 February 2016
1.09pm
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members

Just to have it here for reference, here are the first 100 albums from the list I’d like to get to listening this year.

2?The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
4?Bob Dylan – Highway 61 Revisited
6?Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
7?The Rolling Stones – Exile On Main Street
8?The Clash – London Calling
9?Bob Dylan – Blonde On Blonde
11? Elvis Presley – The Sun Sessions
12?Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
13?The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground & Nico
15?The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced

19?Van Morrison – Astral Weeks
21?Chuck Berry – The Great Twenty-Eight
23?John Lennon – Plastic Ono Band
24?Stevie Wonder – Innervisions
25?James Brown – Live At The Apollo
26?Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
27?U2 – The Joshua Tree
28?The Who – Who’s Next
30?Joni Mitchell – Blue
33?Ramones – Ramones

38?Muddy Waters – The Anthology: 1947-1972
41?Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols
44?Patti Smith – Horses
47?John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
49?The Allman Brothers Band – At Fillmore East
50?Little Richard – Here’s Little Richard
51?Simon & Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Waters
54?Ray Charles – The Birth of Soul:
55?The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland
56?Elvis Presley – Elvis Presley

57?Stevie Wonder – Songs In The Key Of Life
59?Creedence Clearwater Revival – Chronicle
61?Sly & The Family Stone – Greatest Hits
62?Guns N’ Roses – Appetite For Destruction
63?U2 – Achtung Baby
72?Curtis Mayfield – Superfly
74?Neil Young – After the Gold Rush
76?Prince & The Revolution – Purple Rain
78?Otis Redding – Otis Blue
80?John Lennon Imagine

81?The Clash – The Clash
82?Neil Young – Harvest
83?The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Axis: Bold As Love
84?Aretha Franklin – I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
85?Aretha Franklin – Lady Soul
88?Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison
90?Stevie Wonder – Talking Book
91?Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
94 Hank Williams – 40 Greatest Hits
95?Miles Davis – Bitches Brew

96?The Who – Tommy
97?Bob Dylan – The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
98?Elvis Costello – This Year’s Model
101?Frank Sinatra – In the Wee Small Hours
102?Cream – Fresh Cream
103?John Coltrane – Giant Steps
107?Sam Cooke – Portrait of a Legend 1951-1964
108?David Bowie – Hunky Dory
113?Joni Mitchell – Court and Spark
115?The Who – The Who Sell Out

368?Eagles – Eagles
369?The Smiths – Louder Than Bombs
371?Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
373?Jefferson Airplane – Volunteers
376?Björk – Post
378?Oasis – (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?
383?Talking Heads – More Songs About Buildings and Food
386?Steely Dan – Pretzel Logic
395?LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver
397?Massive Attack – Blue Lines

398?ZZ Top – Eliminator
399?Tom Waits – Rain Dogs
400?The Temptations – Anthology
401?Red Hot Chili Peppers – Californication
407?The Clash – Sandinista!
411?Eric Clapton – 461 Ocean Boulevard
414?The Go-Go’s – Beauty and the Beat
415?Van Halen – Van Halen
418?Wings – Band On The Run
420?Buddy Holly & The Crickets – The “Chirping” Crickets

423?Diana Ross and The Supremes – Anthology
426?Cheap Trick – At Budokan
430?Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend
433?George Harrison All Things Must Pass
436?Beck – Sea Change
445?Steve Miller Band – Fly Like An Eagle
453?EPMD – Strictly Business
454?Alice Cooper – Love It to Death
456?Marvin Gaye – Here, My Dear
462?R.E.M. – Document

464?Def Leppard – Hysteria
466?Coldplay – A Rush of Blood to the Head
470?LL Cool J – Radio
473?The Smiths – The Smiths
475?Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Armed Forces
477?Merle Haggard – Down Every Road 1962-1994
478?Loretta Lynn – All Time Greatest Hits
481?D’Angelo – Voodoo
485?Pearl Jam – Vitalogy
486?Earth, Wind & Fire – That’s The Way Of The World

4 February 2016
11.24pm
Derek_Francis
London Palladium
Members

Listened to Ramones by the Ramones.  Definitely overrated.  I think it’s one of the cases where its lauded more for the influence it had than enduring quality.  I don’t think the singing is particularly well done.  The melodies are simple.  And literally all of their songs on the album have the same rhythm.  It’s like a punk rock version of Wesley Willis.  Songs like Blitzkreig Bop and Chainsaw are quite good.  Rating: Strong 6 or Weak 7

5 February 2016
6.21am
BluemeanAl
North Carolina, USA
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 163

Nice thread!  I have to say that nothing is more fun nor more infuriating than these kinds of lists, at least for me.  If nothing else, it’s a good way to get introduced to music that I may have missed along the way, “holes” in my collection that I didn’t know existed (I’m an old guy and old school — I feel obliged to purchase the music I “own,” since if the artists can’t make a living making music, they won’t be able to, you know, make the music).

I also applaud anyone ambitious enough to try to listen their way through a 500 album list, a kind of musical Everest.  I’d be skipping everything that I already “know” that I don’t like (which is to say, hip-hop, EDM, recent pop divas).  I look at my own collection once in a while and wonder how many albums I have on the shelf that I’ll never listen to again.  Most of them, most likely!

I have to say that over the years I’ve moved away from calling any artist/album/song the “best” or “greatest” as there is no objective measurement for that sort of thing…and settled for “my favorite.”

That said, I recommend to Mr Kite that he give Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a few more listens — it’s a “grower” and fits nicely into my top 25 favorites of all time.  But then again, Wilco is my favorite current band (which is to say, not disbanded), both on album and in concert.  So that’s my bias!

The following people thank BluemeanAl for this post:

Beatlebug

It's gotta be rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me

5 February 2016
9.17am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

@BluemeanAl said
(I’m an old guy and old school — I feel obliged to purchase the music I “own,” since if the artists can’t make a living making music, they won’t be able to, you know, make the music).

I’m a young gal and old school– I feel the same way. a-hard-days-night-george-9 Though I have no qualms about giving something a listen a few times on YouTube or some similar Internetty thing to see whether I like it or not before purchasing. 

I have to say that over the years I’ve moved away from calling any artist/album/song the “best” or “greatest” as there is no objective measurement for that sort of thing…and settled for “my favorite.”

Yeah, same here. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

5 February 2016
1.16pm
BluemeanAl
North Carolina, USA
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 163

Yeah, same here, truth be told.  I do have a pile of “free” albums in my Amazon cloud player to preview.  If I like it, I buy.  If I don’t, I get rid of it.  I do love the physical thing…I love vinyl because of the large format for album art, and not because I think it sounds better than CDs.  And CDs better than purely digital, which just seems a bit soulless to me.  But I use all them formats.  The diversity of media choices are better today than ever, and I do appreciate all of them.  Just some more than others.

The following people thank BluemeanAl for this post:

Beatlebug

It's gotta be rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me

5 February 2016
2.08pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

BluemeanAl said
That said, I recommend to Mr Kite that he give Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a few more listens — it’s a “grower” and fits nicely into my top 25 favorites of all time.  But then again, Wilco is my favorite current band (which is to say, not disbanded), both on album and in concert.  So that’s my bias!

I second this. I love that album. 

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

22 February 2016
7.04pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I’ll listen through the Wilco album again tomorrow and see if I feel any different. I know I’d probably give White Blood Cells, which I reviewed a bit ago, a five star rating now. My opinions may shift on some specific records, so whenever I finally get through all 500, I’ll list out my ratings and update any Apple values if I feel it’s necessary.

I’m gonna try and do an album or two tonight.

Will be back…

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

30 June 2016
3.39pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Alright. Time has come to stop putting this off and really get moving! Albert King coming soon to a forum review near you… and you… and you…

Necko

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

30 June 2016
4.03pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members

Which version of the list are you using, Mr. Kite? The original or the updated one? 

30 June 2016
4.32pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

491. Born Under A Bad Sign

AlbertKing/BornUnderABadSignImage Enlarger

Artist: Albert King
Released: 1967
Genre: Blues

Review: Hits hard from the start. Solid playing throughout by one of the three Kings of blues guitar. Love the title track’s refrain, “if it wasn’t for bad luck wouldn’t have no luck at all,” and other similar, humorous lines in the song. The lead lines in Crosscut Saw sound like the root of the stuff Clapton was playing at the time. Although my favorite version of Kansas City is by a British quartet, Albert’s is on par. The fuzzy, circular bass riff in Oh, Pretty Woman is amazing and takes this blues album a step closer to blues rock. My album favorite with the title track a close second. Piano/guitar interplay on The Hunter leads to a very full and satisfying blues track with great little stops that accent the lyrics. I Almost Lost My Mind is a softer, slower song the rolls along with Booker T.’s somber piano and Kings’s honest vocals. Some nice flute work on the track that plays with the album’s ever present brass section. One of the great things about this album is that no track overstays it’s welcome, unlike some on previous albums I’ve reviewed. The album’s longest track, Personal Manager, is a good basic blues song that really picks up halfway through with Albert’s scorching lead work; crying bends and great cutting, yet warm, tone. At four and a half quick minutes every note is welcome. Sax and the slightly ominous minor progression of As The Years Go By set a mood and maintain that atmosphere as the album draws to an end. Some impressive bits on the keys with another wonderful vocal performance by Albert; softer with great vibrato, similar to the guitar on the song. The album ends with a jazzier, slow one, The Very Thought Of You.

Favorite: Oh, Pretty Woman – Can’t Make You Love Me

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01apple01

Just a great album: the blues at some of it’s best. I’m sure I’ll confront less worthy albums as I journey on. Four whole apples.

Next Up: ZZ Top – Tres Hombres

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

30 June 2016
4.33pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

@Necko said
Which version of the list are you using, Mr. Kite? The original or the updated one?   

The 2012 list, as that’s what’s in my physical copy. When was it last updated?

Edit: According to wiki, this is the most updated version. So it has some more albums from the 2000’s.

And here it is again: http://www.rollingstone.com/mu…..i-20120525

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

30 June 2016
5.25pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

490. Tres Hombres

AlbertKing/BornUnderABadSignImage Enlarger

Artist: ZZ Top
Released: 1973
Genre: Blues Rock

Review: I’ve spent many-a-bus-wait singing Waitin’ For The Bus, a strong opening song establishing Billy Gibbons’ in your face tone. Amazing warbly solo that I want to say is slide guitar but could be distorted harmonica for the first half. Great rhythm guitar, one of my favorite tracks right off. Runs seamlessly into the slower, straightforward blues rocker Jesus Just Left Chicago with pivoting clean chords and constant dirty lead work just out of reach. Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers has great back and forth between Gibbons and bassist Dusty Hill who also sings on the track. The stops in this track where all instruments but either a vocal or guitar drop out are very musical accents that enhance the song quite a bit. Ends with a ripping solo as should be expected from such a great player. Very cool slide in the left channel behind the vocal fills out the verses of Master Of Sparks. Redundant or not, another perfect solo with a lead-in lick that might rip your face off. Hot, Blue And Righteous slows everything down before the end of the album’s first side. Not the song I’d come to the album for, but still a good track. The guitar solo feels like an emotional extension of Gibbons’ vocals, as all the best player have a talent for doing. Move Me On Down The Line has great energy that picks the album back up for the second side. When they get to singing the song’s title I always feel like singing along. Call and response fade out ends the song smoothly before the crunchy riff of Precious And Grace fills your ears. The brief slide work in the middle of the song is one of the albums cooler moments, one of those little pieces of music that just grab you; and now that i’m actively listening, it sounds like a key change. But, you see, like any good key change it wasn’t apparent! More slide on the fadeout reminiscent of Duane Allman on the Layla album. Now, if everyone only knows one song from this record it’s La Grange; and for good reason. Starts slow with a very cool shuffle beat on the drum rim and Billy’s distinct voice. A great fill by Frank Beard (the drummer, he’s the one with no beard) leads to that golden riff. Beard really shines on this track, with more great tom work before yet another roaring solo on this album. The end of the solo where the drums cut out and accent the descending fingerpicked chords is another moment that makes this album great. And before you can recover, another fill and the riff is back, this time with squealing lead guitar all over the place. Sheik’s lyrics paint a picture pretty well, and although slower, another great track with a cool repeated sliding lick and a mellow, wah solo. Some chimes and shimmery chords fade out the track before the closer, Have You Heard? Just beautiful Texas blues: likely my favorite ZZ Top album.

Favorite: La Grange

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01apple01apple01

My first five apple record?! Was bound to happen eventually. The guitar work is so strong on this one and I never cease to enjoy this album when I put it on.

Next Up: Kiss – Destroyer

The Hippie Chick

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

30 June 2016
5.44pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members

I’m going to jump in and do my own version of this one day.  Honestly, I’ve thought about doing what you’re doing for awhile (long before you started), but I haven’t decided how to go about it.  I’m not sure whether I want to do something like this thread or if I want to expose it to a larger audience by setting up a dedicated, single-topic tumblr account or on some other blogging platform.

30 June 2016
5.58pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I vote larger scale, @Necko! I’ll be the first fan. I feel like you’ll have some good stuff to say, so why not set up a WordPress website or Tumblr?

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

30 June 2016
6.13pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members

Yeah, that’s what I was leaning towards.  Anyhow, this is all the sorta stuff I should put off until I have a job.

30 June 2016
6.15pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Necko said
Yeah, that’s what I was leaning towards.  Anyhow, this is all the sorta stuff I should put off until I have a job.  

Yeah, I guess less distractions are good. However, depending on how far you want to go into it and how you go about it, you might be able to make a little money off of a website like that.

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 July 2016
3.09pm
The Hippie Chick
Counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1387

I love this thread and reading your reviews, Kite! This gave me an idea for a blog post of my own. Hmmmm…..

“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”  - J.D. Salinger

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694