Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
500 Greatest Albums of All Time
1 December 2015
3.43pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I’ve decided to go on a musical journey through the ‘Greatest Albums of All Time,’ as I thought up over here (can’t link on phone!):

I think I might listen to the 500 greatest albums of all time according to Rolling Stone magazine in reverse order. It’ll give me an opportunity to listen to some new music, see what I know, give some artists a chance that I otherwise wouldn’t.

The albums will be based on my 2012 issue of Rolling Stone magazine’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. I’ll be going in reverse order, starting at 500, to listen to some new music and to see if they improve as I continue on (as they should).

This thread will serve as a place for discussion of these albums and for anyone who wants to join me in listening to all these “great” albums.

As always, if anyone feels this is unnecessary or doesn’t add anything to the forum, kill the thread mods! Don’t want to bother anyone.

I do think this will be a great musical trip, however, and will create some really interesting musical conversation.

We’ll eventually end with The Beatles, but for now it’s on to 500: Outkast’s Aquemini. I’ll be back in a few hours.

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

meanmistermustard, trcanberra

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

1 December 2015
3.49pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

I’ve wanted to do a similar thing for a while now. 

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Mr. Kite

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

1 December 2015
3.52pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

I think its a good idea to do it and also a good thread to have as it will hopefully spark discussion which should always be encouraged. Are you able to post a link to the 2012 list @Mr. Kite as I like the idea of following you on the journey. No harm listening to new music, tho it might take a while to get the albums as I’m not buying them so will have to borrow from the library.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Mr. Kite

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 December 2015
3.57pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members

I’m not Mr. Kite, but here’s a link to the list.

1 December 2015
4.05pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Thank you, @Necko!

I don’t know how you feel about Spotify, @meanmistermustard, but I know a large majority of these albums are on there. I’m sure you could also find them on YouTube to listen through once as you follow along.

And as a note, this will be the format for my posts here:

– Album info
– My review
(Edit: and likely a favorite song on the album)
– The Mr. Kite Official Rating™

Since I’m bad at subjective rankings from 1-10, I’ll use a scale that’s more tangible. Five levels (I’ll do apples) as follows:

5 – Love it!
4 – Like it.
3 – Indifferent.
2 – Disliked it.
1 – Hated it!

Please weigh in with your opinions on the albums as the list moves along!

500 will be here in a bit.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

1 December 2015
4.17pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Is Spotify free, it used to be tho it came with adverts but they might have gotten rid of it, and can you listen offline or do you have to be connected to the net? I know nothing about it. 

I’ll have a look.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 December 2015
4.20pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members

Spotify is free, but only if you put up with ads. If you want it ad-free, there’s a monthly fee. 

EDIT: and you do need to be connected to the Internet. 

1 December 2015
4.22pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

@meanmistermustard said

Is Spotify free, it used to be tho it came with adverts but they might have gotten rid of it, and can you listen offline or do you have to be connected to the net? I know nothing about it. 

I’ll have a look.

There is a free membership. I pay for the subscription now, but I believe there weren’t restrictions when listening free on a computer. On mobile, the free version has ads and requires that you shuffle songs, which ruins the flow especially when doing something like this looking at the album as a whole. Free on computer should work.

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 December 2015
4.56pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

You can get a three month trial of the premium Spotify account for 99p. The free account you cant listen offline and thats how I would do it as in the house I’d just turn over and listen to what I know. If out and about I turn it on and unless its horrific it stays on.

Apple do a free three month trial but I fear that they would want to shove my own catalogue to the cloud and mash it all together. Apple are never straight forward, every time anything new is added I have to launch a war to get my music back to how I want it.

I can access Amazon Prime for free (legit) so maybe that is the way to go.

a-hard-days-night-paul-7ahdn_paul_01

1 December 2015
5.58pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

500. Aquemini

Outkast/AqueminiImage Enlarger

Artist: OutKast
Released: 1998
Genre: Hip-Hop

Review: I have listened to, and enjoyed, OutKast before, but only just the hits. This album was good on the whole, starting of well and ending with two strong songs, but the middle kind of bored me. The song that exemplified the bad of the album was Mamacita, which frankly just annoyed me more with every repetition of the title. The first track was short, but cool, and demonstrated the album’s interesting instrumentation. The title track was good, but surprisingly not the strong song on the album. A stand out song to me, besides the favorite below, would be Rosa Parks which had a cool little rhythm guitar part toward the end. The spoken parts in between songs added to the feel of the album and made it feel more cohesive.

Favorite: Skew It on the Bar-B

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01

Would’ve scored higher if it was all like the good songs on the album, but wasn’t consistent enough to get a higher score in my opinion.

Next Up: B.B. King – Live in Cook County Jail

long long long

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 December 2015
6.15pm
long long long
UK
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 49

Yeah, Mamacita kind of stinks the joint up on Aquemini. Still, Rosa Parks is eternal, and Da Art of Storytellin’ Parts 1 & 2 are watershed moments in Hip-Hop. Really really good record, funky, psychedelic, they were playing with lots of really interesting influences there.

The following people thank long long long for this post:

Mr. Kite
1 December 2015
7.15pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

499. Live in Cook County Jail

BBKing/LiveInJailImage Enlarger

Artist: B.B. King
Released: 1971
Genre: Blues

Review: A fun live record! The introduction is almost as enjoyable as the music, with the prisoners booing the local sherif and judge as they’re introduced prior to B.B. The next two songs are good basic blues tracks (no complaints from me on that). The ending of How Blue Can You Get? gets some laughs from the audience and from me. The little monologue in Worry, Worry, Worry is entertaining and adds B.B.’s personality to the record. Medley is enjoyable. Great version of Sweet Sixteen and The Thrill Is Gone, especially! Ends with a nice little slower tune that speeds up to end the performance. Wish there was a little more guitar, but still wonderful album from the King of Blues.

Favorite: The Thrill Is Gone

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01apple01

Great album, still don’t feel right giving it five apples. Needed more guitar and maybe another song to complete it for me.

Next Up: The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses

Necko

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 December 2015
7.36pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Shouldn’t that be #499 @Mr. Kite?

Yip, all the effort you put in and that’s what gets commented on. a-hard-days-night-paul-3 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Mr. Kite

1 December 2015
7.44pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

@Mr. Kite crunched through an apple slice 
<snip>

Since I’m bad at subjective rankings from 1-10, I’ll use a scale that’s more tangible. Five levels (I’ll do apples) as follows:

5 – Love it!
4 – Like it.
3 – Indifferent.
2 – Disliked it.
1 – Hated it!

<snap>

What’s funny is I had the same idea, when I was writing my review of Brainwashed. I didn’t give any of the songs a ranking below two apples though. 

Apples for effort and in case you run out apple01apple01apple01apple01apple01apple01apple01apple01 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

1 December 2015
8.29pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

meanmistermustard said

Shouldn’t that be #499 @Mr. Kite?

Yip, all the effort you put in and that’s what gets commented on. a-hard-days-night-paul-3 

I needed that correction… Thanks. I copied the first one as a template and forgot the big, obvious number on top!

You should do that @Beatlebug! I’m sure there’s a Brainwashed thread, although I haven’t seen it.

I’m listening to number 498 now, because I’m finding this all to be fun, and will probably wrap up for the day there. I do have to get through 500 albums though! So I’m probably gonna do a few a day.

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

1 December 2015
9.09pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

498. The Stone Roses

TheStoneRosesImage Enlarger

Artist: The Stone Roses
Released: 1989
Genre: Alternative Rock

Review: This is the first of many albums to come that I had no idea what to expect from. I mean it’s hard to know what to expect from 1989 in general, and now that I’ve listened… It sounded like 1989. I felt like there was too much going on a lot of the time, the beginning of Don’t Stop, for example. Made of Stone had a really cool intro, the rest of the song wasn’t as great, there was a change in the mood and it just didn’t go with what felt interesting about the beginning. Guitars sounded generic 80’s as Made of Stone exemplifies with the solo. Some nice 12-string throughout. Not a huge fan of the vocals. This Is The One had another beginning that was nice but dragged on without introducing anything really noteworthy. I Am The Resurrection seemed decent enough in the first minute, but at over 8 minutes I was afraid it would drag too. It saved itself with some solid guitar work in the middle. Would have enjoyed that one more if not for some weird sounds floating around taking away from the solo. Cool percussion, bass, and some funky guitar on Fools Gold. Enjoyed that one (even at 10 damn minutes long!). They can’t trick me into giving a higher score by ending with a song I actually liked, though! Overall, not bad; not really my kind of music.

Favorite: Fools Gold

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01

It was okay. Don’t think I’ll be listening to it again.

Next Up: The White Stripes – White Blood Cells

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

2 December 2015
12.01pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

497. White Blood Cells

WhiteStripes/WhiteBloodCellsImage Enlarger

Artist: The White Stripes
Released: 2001
Genre: Alternative Rock

I do like the White Stripes, but once again haven’t heard too much of their music prior to now. This album has a lot of variety, with acoustic songs like We’re Going To Be Friends and Hotel Yorba contrasting the more rocking tracks that make up most of the record. And for a band made up of two people, the songs really do rock! Jack White is an amazing guitarist, and Meg White, while possibly limited as a drummer, does her job perfectly. The album starts off with some heavy, fuzzy guitar beginning Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground and ends with a piece on the piano that shows Jack White’s versatility. I’m Finding It Harder To Be A Gentleman grooves along and ends with some slightly comical lyrics before what is likely the albums biggest hit, Fell In Love With A Girl. At under two minutes it starts and ends all too quickly, but has a cool little call and response type thing between the lyrics and music. Other than Little Room, which is just short of a minute and could be seen as this album’s Wild Honey Pie , every track is a solid piece of music performed really well.

Favorite: Fell In Love With A Girl

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01apple01

I enjoyed this album quite a bit!

Next Up: Boz Scaggs – Boz Scaggs

The Hippie Chick

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

2 December 2015
4.15pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

@Mr. Kite said 

You should do that Silly Girl! I’m sure there’s a Brainwashed thread, although I haven’t seen it.

I’m listening to number 498 now, because I’m finding this all to be fun, and will probably wrap up for the day there. I do have to get through 500 albums though! So I’m probably gonna do a few a day.

I already did it, but I haven’t posted it yet. And there is a Brainwashed thread, it’s under George Harrison albums. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

3 December 2015
9.40pm
Mr. Kite
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

496. Boz Scaggs

BozScaggsImage Enlarger

Artist: Boz Scaggs
Released: 1969
Genre: Blue-Eyed Soul

I’m Easy starts the album and has a great chord progression during the chorus that feels as if it’s going to do the generic blues sequence, but ends with a few cool, unexpected chords accentuated by the bass. This is followed by a few slow, ballad-type songs I wasn’t a big fan of, although they weren’t bad. Now You’re Gone is musically reminiscent of Don’t Pass Me By . Finding Her is probably the favorite ballad-type of mine from the album, demonstrating some nice piano and spacey slide work. Waiting For A Train is a basic country blues song with more slide, present on much of the album. The first few minutes of Lend Me A Dime were really enjoyable; jazzy piano, organs, and drums… But by the time I hit the twelve minute mark I wasn’t having as much fun.

Favorite: I’m Easy

Kite’s Rating:

apple01apple01apple01

Some good music, some was a little boring, not bad.

Next Up: Bonnie Raitt – Give It Up

Can buy Joe love!

Amazon | iTunes

3 December 2015
9.52pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members

Hey Mr. Kite, 

Are you planning on only reviewing albums you’ve never heard before, or are you reviewing everything? 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694