The piece was commissioned by the New York City Ballet. Ocean’s Kingdom was conducted by John Wilson, produced by John Fraser and performed by The London Classical Orchestra. It was recorded in London in June 2011.
Decca released Ocean’s Kingdom in the UK on 3 October 2011, and it followed in the US on Hear Music/Telarc the next day. It was released on compact disc, vinyl and as a digital download.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Starlight Theater, Kansas City, Missouri
- 2010: John Lennon’s solo remasters are released
- 1999: UK album release: Run Devil Run by Paul McCartney
- 1974: UK album release: Walls And Bridges by John Lennon
- 1974: UK single release: Whatever Gets You Thru The Night by John Lennon
- 1968: Recording: Martha My Dear, Honey Pie
- 1967: Television: The Frost Programme
- 1966: Ringo Starr joins John Lennon in Spain
- 1963: Debut appearance on Ready, Steady, Go!
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.