The Beatles performed three songs during their first of three appearances on Ready, Steady, Go!
Broadcast on the ITV network, initially just in London, RSG! was British television’s leading pop music show at the time. The 4 October 1963 episode was broadcast live, with the performers miming to their hits, a typical situation for the time.
The show was recorded at Television House on London’s Kingsway. During the afternoon The Beatles rehearsed for the cameras, and recording took place from 6.15pm onwards.
A friend was designing sets for Ready, Steady, Go!, and he invited me to their first live TV performance. They were wearing the famous grey, buttoned-up suits, which really stood out at the time. I was the only one at the rehearsal when they played this song. To me it sounded like very good rock ‘n’ roll. But it wasn’t just the music, it was their personalities, the way they looked, the whole thing.
The performance of She Loves You was repeated on RSG! on 8 November 1963, and the full set was shown again during a special New Year show on 31 December.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Starlight Theater, Kansas City, Missouri
- 2010: John Lennon’s solo remasters are released
- 1974: UK album release: Walls And Bridges by John Lennon
- 1968: Recording: Martha My Dear, Honey Pie
- 1967: Television: The Frost Programme
- 1966: Ringo Starr joins John Lennon in Spain
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.