De Lane Lea Sound Centre, London
Producer: George Martin
The session took place at De Lane Lea’s studio in Soho, London, from 2-5.30pm, with a mixing session following from 5.30-7.30pm.
‘You Always Hurt The One You Love’ had been a 1944 hit for The Mills Brothers. Starr’s version was arranged by Johnny Dankworth, who also conducted a 20-piece orchestra on the recording.
Work on the song concluded on 6 March 1970, with some additional overdubs and final mixes, at EMI Studios, Abbey Road.
Also on this day...
- 2020: George Harrison Woodland Walk in Liverpool announced
- 1972: UK single release: Give Ireland Back To The Irish by Wings
- 1970: Recording, mixing: Man We Was Lonely by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording: Old Brown Shoe, All Things Must Pass, Something
- 1968: George Harrison celebrates his 25th birthday in India
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: George Harrison’s 21st birthday
- 1964: Recording: Can’t Buy Me Love, You Can’t Do That, And I Love Her, I Should Have Known Better
- 1963: Live: Casino Ballroom, Leigh
- 1963: Editing, mixing: Please Please Me album
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1943: George Harrison is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.