In promotion of their film The Magic Christian, Ringo Starr and David Frost made a joint appearance on the Frost On Sunday television show on this evening.
The show was broadcast later that night, from 11.10pm-midnight, on London Weekend Television. It was filmed in colour in Studio One at Wembley Studios in London. Also appearing on the show was Sellers' fellow Goon Show member Spike Milligan, who also appeared in the film.
The clip begins with Sellers explaining the subject and background of the film. Milligan's scene is then shown, after which he joins Starr and Sellers. A series of silly voices, character parts and visual gags inevitably follows, leaving Frost struggling to get a word in.
Likewise, Starr is effectively sidelined, although he and Sellers do sing a brief version of Octopus's Garden. Another clip is then shown, of the Sotheby's auction scene featuring John Cleese.
The clip survives in audio only; no version with visuals is known to exist.
Also on this day...
- 1969: George Harrison live at Empire Theatre, Liverpool with Delaney & Bonnie
- 1969: Television: 24 Hours: The World Of John And Yoko – day five
- 1966: Recording: Christmas radio messages, When I’m Sixty-Four
- 1965: US album release: Rubber Soul
- 1965: UK EP release: The Beatles’ Million Sellers
- 1965: US single release: We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper
- 1962: Live: Club Django, Queen’s Hotel, Southport
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.