The Beatles' fifth UK album, Help!, was released on this day as Parlophone PMC 1255 (mono) and PCS 3071 (stereo).
Following the structure of the previous year's A Hard Day's Night the previous year, the first side of Help! featured seven songs from The Beatles' second feature film. The flip side contained another seven songs – including Paul McCartney's instant classic Yesterday – recorded over the same period.
Help! entered the UK charts on 14 August, and was an immediate chart-topper on pre-orders alone. It spent nine weeks at number one, and remained on the chart for 37 consecutive weeks.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at Fenway Park, Boston
- 2008: Newly-discovered Beatles tape sells for £9,800
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Here Comes The Sun, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
- 1968: Mixing: Hey Jude
- 1967: George Harrison dines at Ravi Shankar’s house
- 1966: Brian Epstein holds a press conference
- 1966: Radio: The Lennon And McCartney Songbook
- 1963: Live: Springfield Ballroom, Jersey
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1960: The Beatles ask Pete Best to join
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.