The Beatles filmed a number of scenes for Help! in the Bahamas on this day, in a shoot lasting from 8.30am-5.30pm on New Providence Island.
Ringo Starr appeared in scenes in the yacht basin and in front of the post office on Bay Street, Nassau. He also appeared with George Harrison in the kapok treehouse in the Royal Victoria Hotel gardens.
John Lennon was filmed running out of the public library shouting for Ringo, and a number of scenes not featuring The Beatles were also shot for the prison camp sequences, at Lake Cunningham.
Also on this day...
- 2016: ‘Holy grail’ acetate of Beatles’ Decca recordings to be auctioned
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: HSBC Brasil, São Paulo, Brazil
- 1970: US album release: Hey Jude
- 1964: Recording, mixing: You Can’t Do That, Can’t Buy Me Love, I Should Have Known Better, And I Love Her
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Taunton
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.