This was The Beatles’ fourth performance at the Kingsway Club, situated on the Promenade in Southport, Lancashire.
The Beatles played at the Kingsway Club on eight occasions, all in 1962. The other dates were: 22 and 29 January; 5 February; 5, 12 and 19 March; and 23 July.
Built in 1931, the Kingsway was a popular venue for live acts from the 1960s through to the 1990s, but closed in 2004. It reopened briefly in 2006 but closed for good the following year. On 6 September 2010 the derelict building was destroyed by fire, and two days later the remains of the building were demolished.
Last updated: 2 October 2012
Also on this day...
- 2016: ‘Holy grail’ acetate of Beatles’ Decca recordings to be auctioned
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: HSBC Brasil, São Paulo, Brazil
- 1970: US album release: Hey Jude
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: Recording, mixing: You Can’t Do That, Can’t Buy Me Love, I Should Have Known Better, And I Love Her
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Taunton
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.