This was The Beatles’ fourth performance at the Kingsway Club, situated on the Promenade in Southport, Lancashire.
Built in 1931, the Kingsway was a popular venue for live acts from the 1960s through to the 1990s, but closed in 2004. It reopened briefly in 2006 but closed for good the following year. On 6 September 2010 the derelict building was destroyed by fire, and two days later the remains of the building were demolished.
Also on this day...
- 2016: ‘Holy grail’ acetate of Beatles’ Decca recordings to be auctioned
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: HSBC Brasil, São Paulo, Brazil
- 1970: US album release: Hey Jude
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: Recording, mixing: You Can’t Do That, Can’t Buy Me Love, I Should Have Known Better, And I Love Her
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Taunton
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.