This was part of The Beatles’ tour of the United Kingdom with headliner Helen Shapiro. The group had temporarily dropped out after 9 February 1963, to record the Please Please Me LP and play a number of standalone shows.
Shapiro herself, however, was unable to appear at the concert due to a heavy cold. Her place at the top of the bill was taken by Danny Williams, and Billie Davis, currently enjoying a hit with the single Tell Him, joined the line-up.
The Beatles performed twice at the Gaumont Cinema, situated on Corporation Road in Taunton, Somerset. The second time was on 5 September 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2016: ‘Holy grail’ acetate of Beatles’ Decca recordings to be auctioned
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at HSBC Brasil, São Paulo, Brazil
- 1970: US album release: Hey Jude
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: Recording, mixing: You Can’t Do That, Can’t Buy Me Love, I Should Have Known Better, And I Love Her
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.