This was the last performance by The Beatles on this first part of their UK tour with Helen Shapiro. They were replaced on the 10 February show in Peterborough by Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers.
The Beatles rejoined the Helen Shapiro tour in Sheffield on Saturday 23 February. They performed once more at Sunderland’s Empire Theatre after this night, as headliners, on 30 November 1963. They also performed at the town’s Rink Ballroom on 14 May 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney’s star unveiled on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 1993: US album release: Off The Ground by Paul McCartney
- 1970: Recording: Whispering Grass, Have I Told You Lately That I Love You by Ringo Starr
- 1967: Recording: Fixing A Hole
- 1964: The Beatles’ first Ed Sullivan Show
- 1962: Live: Technical College Hall, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: The Beatles’ first Cavern Club show
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.