Lennon was a notoriously bad driver, and rarely drove himself after passing his test. The other Beatles had learnt to drive previously, and were keen drivers, but Lennon’s confidence was knocked after crashing his car shortly after this date.
He was normally chauffeured to recording sessions and appointments by his driver, Les Anthony, and on the occasions when Lennon did drive, he was often inattentive to other cars and navigated roads poorly.
Also on this day...
- 2016: Paul McCartney announces first live shows of 2016
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, Birmingham, AL, USA
- 2015: Paul McCartney performs on Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary special
- 2010: The Beatles’ Revolver tops the Vatican’s best albums list
- 1968: Mixing: Lady Madonna
- 1968: John Lennon and George Harrison fly to India
- 1965: Recording: Ticket To Ride, Another Girl, I Need You
- 1965: US single release: Eight Days A Week
- 1964: Rehearsal for The Ed Sullivan Show
- 1963: Live: Ritz Ballroom, Birmingham
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.