The Beatles’ long-planned trip to India finally got underway on this day, with John Lennon and George Harrison, plus their wives Cynthia and Pattie, and Pattie’s sister Jenny, flying from London Airport to Delhi, India.
The Indian excursion was to study Transcendental Meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi at his ashram in Rishikesh, where they stayed until 12 April.
Also on this day...
- 2016: Paul McCartney announces first live shows of 2016
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, Birmingham, Alabama
- 2015: Paul McCartney performs on Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary special
- 2010: The Beatles’ Revolver tops the Vatican’s best albums list
- 1968: Mixing: Lady Madonna
- 1965: Recording: Ticket To Ride, Another Girl, I Need You
- 1965: John Lennon passes his driving test
- 1965: US single release: Eight Days A Week
- 1964: Rehearsal for The Ed Sullivan Show
- 1963: Live: Ritz Ballroom, Birmingham
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.