The first of two Beatles EPs released by Capitol Records was issued on this day. Four By The Beatles had the serial number Capitol EAP 1-2121, and was released only in mono.
The four songs had previously been issued in the United States on Meet The Beatles! or The Beatles’ Second Album. They were ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘This Boy’, and ‘Please Mister Postman’.
A subsequent EP, the similarly-titled 4 By The Beatles, was released by Capitol on 1 February 1965. The format wasn’t a hit with US record-buyers, and no further official EPs followed.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile
- 1970: US single release: The Long And Winding Road
- 1969: George Harrison performs on a Jack Bruce session
- 1968: Lennon and McCartney promote Apple in New York
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Baby You’re A Rich Man
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1963: Live: Imperial Ballroom, Nelson
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.