This was The Beatles’ 28th of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile
- 1970: US single release: The Long And Winding Road
- 1969: George Harrison performs on a Jack Bruce session
- 1968: Lennon and McCartney promote Apple in New York
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Baby You’re A Rich Man
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: US EP release: Four By The Beatles
- 1963: Live: Imperial Ballroom, Nelson
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.