This was The Beatles’ 29th of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2020: Astrid Kirchherr dies
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Jacob Javits Center, New York City
- 1968: Lennon and McCartney meet Ron Kass of Apple US
- 1967: Recording, mixing: All Together Now
- 1966: Mixing: Doctor Robert, I’m Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing
- 1963: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.